Search As I Lay Reading

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Three Books, No Waiting

I still haven't finished Hyperion, and I have two very good reasons:

1) It's a little bit of a horse tranquilizer at times. I love me some Dan Simmons, but this is by far my least favorite of his novels. I'll say more about it in the full review, but suffice it to say that I keep forgetting that I'm even reading it. Not a good sign.

2) I'm also reading two other books. It's a bad habit, I know. When I'm reading a book that doesn't do a lot for me, I'll often pick up another one. In this case, I started two, just to be safe.

One of the books is the hit YA novel The Book Thief, which I'm really impressed by so far. It's very strange and eccentric and lyrical. I have a bad feeling that the ending will be Downerville, though. A book about Nazi Germany narrated by Death himself doesn't promise to have an upbeat ending.

The other one I'm reading is Meg Gardiner's second Evan Delaney thriller, Mission Canyon. I haven't picked up a Gardiner novel in over a year (that's what comes of having a library the size of the Empire State Building), and I'd forgotten how good she is. Canyon promises to be even better than China Lake.

So that's how things stand. I should probably finish all three books within a few days of each other. More thoughts and impressions coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment